One of our nation’s most patriotic events will be here this Friday – are you ready for the 4th of July? What will you be doing this year? Barbecue at home, hanging out at family or friend’s or celebrating it with your community?
Whatever you are doing, here are some great ideas that you can add to your celebrating to bring your full patriotic spirit to your home.
Here in South Florida, the 4th of July is one of our favorite summer days. It usually is a beautiful sunshin-ey day, great for spending outdoors. Enjoy the pool or beach or local park and cool off from the heat with this Watermelon Blueberry Salsa.
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 small Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (discard seeds for a milder salsa)
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno in the bowl of a food processor; pulse briefly or until finely chopped (do not fully liquefy). If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop the ingredients by hand.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a medium bowl; stir in watermelon, blueberries, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts Calories: 98 • Fat: 4.3 g • Protein: 3.6 g • Carb: 10.5 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 7.6 g Sodium: 29.5 mg
- 12 reduced fat vanilla wafers
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 8 oz strawberries, hulled and sliced thin
- 8 oz blueberries
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Line cupcake tin with liners. Place a vanilla wafer at the bottom of each liner.
- Gently beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth using an electric mixer. Gradually beat in fat free yogurt, egg whites, and flour. Do not over beat. Pour into cupcake liners filling half way.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool to room temperature then chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Check out the recipe here…
If you are crafty, you can try these great ideas for decorating for the holiday to add to the patriotic spirit!
Check out these great mantel ideas from Landeelu…
Try these super cute Kids’ Flag Shirts from Make It And Love It.
This year, we will be celebrating the 4th of July with our community at the beautiful Plaza del Lago Clubhouse in Heron Bay in Parkland! It is so wonderful to live in a community that puts on such fun, well-organized events for our neighbors and ourselves to enjoy and to celebrate our country’s Independence together! Our own poolside Cabana Grille has a great, special menu planned and it is going to be one packed, fun-filled day for Heron Bay residents!!! We can’t wait!!!
Whatever you do, enjoy your 4th of July! Don’t forget all who have fought for our freedom and independence so that we can live in and as the greatest nation on earth!!!
Happy Independence Day to All of You!!!